Thursday, June 11, 2009

Garden's Last Harvest before the Frost


Welcome to my Contented Life Blog.
The aim of my blog is to inspire others with some simple ideas that I have found along lifes wonderful journey. We are all trying to find a balance that works for us and hopefully my tips can help you find some things that will help you achieve this.
As I am aiming to inspire others, I am inspired by others like wise, so if you have any interesting ideas or you think I am way off the mark, please feel free to contructively comment.
A little about myself, I love to garden as you have probably worked out from reading some of my early blogs and from the pictures of some of our produce. We have our own eggs and vegetables and some fruit. We have an aquaponics system ( built by my husband). I love to make my own things and I am often wearing my own hand made jewellery or item of clothing or bags. I love to reuse and recycle anything from egg cartons to water bottles and preloved clothing.
That's enough about me, the point I am trying to make is if I can do it, so can you. You need only to decide to do it. The rest will be history. With gardening you can start by only growning a few herbs and the success of this will make you thirsty for more successes with other vegetables.
If you do not have the space , grown your vegetables in polystyrene boxes (reusing). Join the Diggers Club ( Australia) as it has some great Heirloom vegtables /fruit and great articles that really keep you abreast of what is happening in the world of Gardening and Genetically modified food and its affect on us.
The picture about was harvested on the 1st of June - the first day of winter. I was so pleased with this last harvest. When you grow your own, not only will you be eating more healthy produce, but it will have more flavour. It will also have less food miles ( the amount of energy used to produce food). You will also save some money , but more importantly you are in control of your food , not the supermarket.
Another tip on saving money and the planet- refuse to buy vegtables that are not in season. These vegetables/fruit have travelled long food miles to get to your super market and are generally more expensive.
Now that Winter is here ( Australia)- you should already have Brocolli, Cauliflowers, Cabage, Spinach, lettuce, Broad beans,garlic in your garden.
Until next time happy Gardening- remember you reap what you sow and not only in your garden , but also in your life. Be kind and compassionate - you never know when you will need someone to be kind and compassionate towards you. Do unto others as you will have done unto you.
Please feel free to comment- would love to hear what you you think good or bad- it only takes a minute.
Cheers
Lina
ZaniL Design CEO

1 comment:

  1. testing to see if there is a problem with leaving comments.

    ReplyDelete