Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Wheel Barrow Full of Pumpkins

Welcome to my " Hajja Kuntenta" Site.

I aim to impart and inspire my readers with lots of simple and easy ideas that will enable you to be able to get from your time and lead a fulfilled life.

This week we harvested our pumpkins.
At the beginning of the season, I thought we would not get many pumpkins. I actually went and hand pollinated a few just to make sure I would 2 or 3. Well I am so pleased that we harvested a wheel barrow full and a few more. Through out the season , I would count them almost every week or so and I would water more so if there were a few more new flowers. I have got a few people on my list to share with and I am saving some for my family. I feel so fortunate to be blessed with all this food.
Did you know if you plant a fruit tree like a lemon near your front door, that you will feel like you have abundance in your life when you walk past it I see my lemon tree with fruit on it. It is near our verandah where we sit when we are relaxing and sipping wine or coffee. It gives us a feeling that we have all that we need.
I have 2 great easy recipes that use Pumpkins so I will share these with you.
Maltese Pumpkin & Bacon Bone Soup
1 good Bacon bone
1/2 cup Barley
1/2 cup Green split peas
1/2 cup yellow split peas
1 large potato chopped into medium pieces
2 cups thinly shredded cabbage
1 good sized pumpkin wedge chopped into 3cm pieces
1 carrot chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste.
1 tsp curry
pepper
2 tbsp oil.
I large pot.
Method
In a large pot place bacon bone and enough water to cover. Bring to the boil and boil for about 20 minutes. Add all the other ingredients except the cabbage. Allow to boil and then simmer for 1 hour. Add cabbage about 20 minutes before serving.
Remove bone from soup- meat should almost fall off bone. Squeeze lemon juice over meat. Serve with the soup.
Serve with garlic bread or other bread.
Moist Pumpkin Scones
3 tbsp butter
1 cup warm mashed pumpkin
2 cups SR flour.
3 tbsp sugar
Mix butter and sugar together to make a paste. Add the warm pumpkin and mix well.
Add the flour and knead out. If mixture is too wet add more flour, or if too dry add a little water.
cut and roll into prepare board.
cook in a oven 180C for about 15 minute.
That's it for now.
Keep posted for some more tips and great handmade jewellery designs on my ZaniL Design Blog.
What do you think? What makes you happy, would you like to share your ideas?
Anyway until next time.
Lina

2 comments:

  1. pumpkins to you too ;-)
    I got 1 this year and a few zuccinis and some squashes. Better than nothing is the way I look at it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lina, I love your Maltese Entry. I had to read it twice as it took me by surprise! Well done girl. Can you read Maltese? Did you know that at Dickson Library the Maltese community have Maltese classes? My daughter is attending Wednesday nights and she is loving it. I get the odd Maltese email and I have to grin...I love it. It makes my heart all warm and fuzzy.
    Your Maltese admirer, Pauline
    Note-added comment for Pauline

    ReplyDelete