Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How to be Content

Welcome all once again.

I have been giving some thought as to what makes me feel content. I also googled "contented life" and there are so many articles on the subject.

Here are a few tips on the things that make me "Kuntenta". I believe in the KISS principle - Keep it simple , it works for me.

Lina's Tips on a "Living a contented Life"

1. Accepting and loving your self for who you are. Looking into your self and listening to your inner voice and going with your instincts. Don't be too critical of your self.

2. Living life in the moment- have you noticed that you are always thinking of the next item on the the to do list to be accomplished. I now focus on the task at hand and enjoy the moment for what it is, even it is doing the dishes. This way we are focusing and giving our full attention to the task at hand. I find I can get it done quicker and feel more satisfied.When we constantly focus on the future we are not enjoying the present. The present moment is all we have, yesterday has passed and tomorrow is not yet ours.

3.I am working on not putting things off for too long. If I think of something I try to do it straight away, an example is when I think of family or friends, I try to call them right there and then ( if it is the correct time of the day).

4.Try not to cram too much into your day. If you have less on your to do list and accomplish 3/5 things , you will feel great as you will have done most of the things.

5. Be generous. This does not mean you have to spend all of your hard earned money on buying lots of gifts. Being generous can mean you are generous with your time volunteering, donating goods that you no longer want, making your own gifts, donating vegetables, lending a helping hand or shoulder. What you give always comes back to you one hundred fold and "the smell of a rose always stays with the giver". You will find it has a good effect on you as you have a good feeling that you have helped or made a difference.

6. Be grateful and thankful. When we are grateful with what we have , we appreciate all the things in our life and sometime more things come into our life because of this. When we feel grateful we are not always wanting to have more which puts less pressure on us to work to obtain more things.

7.Be connected with nature and kind to all things in nature. I love gardening and when I am gardening I am constantly amazed at how beautiful and wonderful all life is, how a simple seed can turn into a beautiful tree or flower or vegetable.We are all part of nature and the more we surround ourselves with nature , the more simple we realise our lives are. Grow your own vegetables, feel more in control of what you are eating and lessen your food miles and reduce your foot print.

8. Take some time out to make time for the things you really want to do. Cut out the things that are not that important and commit to less , say no to the less important things. How often do you use the excuse that you are too busy?. Be creative , go visit someone you haven't seen for a while, spend more time with your kids.

9. Set some achieveable goals with realistic time lines. Picture your self achieving these goals.

10. Slow down. Rushing from place to place and job to job can become a way of life. Allow for some free time where you simply do nothing, but enjoy the moment and relax. When we are rushing there is no time to stand still and take stock of what you have achieved and where you are going. Look into your self and ask " if I had a second chance, what would I do differently or what would I be doing now".

Thats about it for now. Here is a link I found through google - Live a life of contententment

So what do you think , Have you got any tips you can share.?

Cheers for now
Lina



Lina

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lina, I found you through Twitter and linked to this blog. Thanks for this encouragement to slow down and enjoy today. My husband and I are living on less and enjoying life more. I read a book titled, "your money or your life" and it really gave me some insight. It teaches you how to calculate the money value your time, which in turn helps you decide if you are really enjoying the things you are doing. Whenever I am making a purchase it makes me stop and think if I really need the item or if it is something I can live without or make for myself with the things I already have. A word I have been living by is ingeniuity. Look forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan,I will have to look that book up.
    I have a few books on the go at the moment. Thanks for linking and good luck with your bridal collection. I am still developing mine.
    I also found you on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lina
    well I finally made it to your blog. all I have to say is totally WOW!
    I am so impressed with your glasshouse! The vegetable growing containers are just terrific.
    You have done such a great JOB!

    My one tip for contentment:
    live in the now, because thats all the time you have

    Good luck to you Lina
    (see you on twitter)

    ReplyDelete