Sunday, February 11, 2024

 Good Afternoon everyone.

its been a while since I have written for my blog. I just got the urge to do it today and feel like it may be the beginning of something .

i think the key is consistency so i will try to keep the content exciting and full of information you can use to improve your gardening journey.

this months post

February is a wonderful time of year as it when most of the vegetable planted in spring start producing well and if its nice and warm then the plants can produce a lot and then you have to think of ways to use it all up.
i have discovered lots of new recipes simply by the wonderful abundance nature provides.
All gardeners would know that alot of produce has imperfections and as a grower, i know a lot of work goes into to getting the maximum amount of yield for your effort and expense. So it would be wasteful to throw out something you have just freshly harvested due to a small defect. Even if I do have to throw anything out like a rotten tomato, I make sure I let the seeds ooze out onto the ground so next year I get loads of free seedlings.
So this month i have been busy harvesting and preserving.
i wanted to introduce you all to Tomatilo......
Here is a link that describes everything about them.
Essentially they are a greenish /yellow tomato and they are Mexican. They are used to make Salsa Verde.
I was gifted by nature thousands (or it seems) of Tomatilo plants that I did not plant. They even got zapped with the frost and all came back ok to produce kilos of fruit.
I was attracted to the Tomatilo plant as its fruit looks like lanterns and i just had to grow it. Its wonderful that it grows here and its almost a weed as now after three years of growing it its everywhere I look.
I did take some time to look into the health benefits of this wonderful plant and the information is in the above link. i think the benefits pertain to its raw form but i could be wrong.
the benefits i took note of are that they are good for eye sight and also may aid in the prevention of cancer. Read for yourself.
Here are a few pictures of my veggie boxes and some Salsa i made with produce that has little defects.
I'm loving this simple yet rich life that is hard work and toil, but oh so worth it. i would trade it for anything.
let me know if you want to order a box , or just a few things or flowers or seeds. I have a extensive range and adding every year with new plants.
this year i will have red velvet and lime sunflower (huge flower) as well as normal sunflower seeds. I can post them.
until next post happy Gardening.

if you want to order a box , send a message to my Yarralina Produce face book page. thanks
See insights and ads
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment